Why we collect your personal information
The Migration Agency collects personal information for the primary purpose of providing immigration services to clients in accordance with client instructions. We also collect personal information for marketing purposes.
Personal information that The Migration Agency may collect, includes:
- name, address, telephone number, email address;
- your bank account details and credit card information;
- records of communications with us and services you receive;
- with your consent, medical records, employment history, police reports and academic records.
- personal website usage information, such as your IP address; and
- other personal information you provide to The Migration Agency when you participate in a promotion, competition, promotional activity, survey, market research, or subscribe to our mailing list.
Information is only collected:
- if necessary for The Migration Agency’s operations
- by lawful and fair means
- where practicable, only from the individual concerned or a person authorised to act on the individual’s behalf.
The Migration Agency takes reasonable steps to ensure you are aware of:
- the likely use of the information
- the right of access to the information
- the identity and contact details of the organisation
- any law requiring collection of the information and
- the main consequences of failure to provide the information.
How we use and disclose your personal information
The Migration Agency may use or disclose your personal information:
- for the primary purpose for which it was collected, ie advising and representing clients in accordance with client instructions, including for the purpose of giving immigration assistance; or,
- where the individual would reasonably expect this; or,
- where the individual has consented; or,
- for direct marketing but giving individuals the opportunity to opt out of direct marketing; or
Keeping your information accurate and up-to-date
The Migration Agency takes steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, up-to-date and not misleading by updating its records whenever changes to the information come to its attention.
If you believe your information is incorrect, incomplete or not current, you can request that The Migration Agency update this information by contacting us at the email address below.
The Migration Agency will correct information it has about you if it discovers, or you are able to show to a reasonable standard, the information is incorrect. If you seek correction and we disagree that the information is incorrect, we will provide you with our reasons for taking that view.
The Migration Agency disregards information that seems likely to be inaccurate or out-of-date by reason of the time that has elapsed since it was collected or by reason of any other information in its possession.
Using our Website
When you visit The Migration Agency website, we may record information such as IP address, time, date, referring URL, pages accessed and documents downloaded type of browser and operating system. This information is generally non-personally identifiable information.
The Migration Agency may use “cookies”. Cookies may collect and store your personal information. You may adjust your internet browser to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled you may still use The Migration Agency website, but the website may be limited in the use of some of the features.
Marketing and Opting-Out
The Migration Agency may use your personal information for:
- promoting and marketing of current and future services;
- informing you of upcoming events and offers; and
- analysing services so as to improve and develop new services.
The Migration Agency may disclose your personal information to third party marketing services providers so they may assist in improving the marketing and provision of services to you. We will only offer you services, where we reasonably believe that they could be of interest or benefit to you.
At the point The Migration Agency collects information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to The Migration Agency using your personal information for direct marketing. You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving marketing communications.
Security of personal information
The Migration Agency protects personal information from misuse or loss by restricting access to the information in electronic format and by appropriate physical and communications security. Any data destroyed is disposed of in a manner which protects the privacy of information in an appropriate manner.
Access to your personal information
You have a right of access to information concerning you, and to have inaccurate information corrected. Access to information is subject to a general duty of client confidentiality.
Subject to client confidentiality, you are able to access the personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer. If access is refused to your information, The Migration Agency will give you a notice explaining our decision to the extent practicable and your options.
Maintaining anonymity when dealing with us
The Migration Agency allows individuals the option not to identify themselves when dealing with us, only where it is practicable. This may mean that we are not able to be as effective as we might otherwise be in the provision of advice or in some circumstances we may be unable to provide services to you.
Dealing with unsolicited information
The Migration Agency takes all reasonable steps to ensure that unsolicited information is not collected and is destroyed immediately.
Is your personal information sent overseas?
The Migration Agency does not generally send personal information outside Australia, except in individual cases where necessary for the purpose of particular matters and in accordance with client instructions. The Migration Agency ensures such disclosures are subject to the same privacy protection as within Australia.
Do we collect sensitive information?
The Migration Agency collects sensitive information when it is specifically relevant and necessary for the purpose of providing immigration assistance to a client such as to satisfy a particular visa criteria. The Migration Agency does not use government identifiers (eg. passport numbers) to identify individuals.
Complaints and disputes
The Migration Agency will ensure your compliant is handled in an appropriate and reasonable manner.
Who should you contact
Please refer any queries about The Migration Agency and privacy issues via email to email@example.com or by mail to:
The Director, The Migration Agency, P.O. Box 233 Concord NSW 2137.
Changes to this policy
This or The Migration Agency’s website may be obtained free of charge upon request.